Chayote and Spinach Quiche
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 8oz shredded cheese (I used a mixture of Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Jack)
- 2 chayotes, grated and squeezed dry
- 1 10oz pack of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- salt and pepper
- 1 9" pie crust (homemade or prepared)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute the onion for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Par-bake the piecrust for 5 minutes. (This will help keep the crust from getting quite so soggy.)
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and milk until smooth. Whisk in eggs. Fold the chayote, spinach, cheese, and onion into the mixture. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until top begins to brown and the center is set.