I typically call Scoob when I'm on my way home from work so he has some idea when I'll get home. It usually goes something like this:
Me: Did you take something out for dinner?
Scoob: Yeah. I took out some ______, but I don't know what to do with it.
So for the rest of my commute I'm running through mental recipes using whatever type of meat he took from the freezer and trying to remember what's on hand in the pantry. Other times I end up using whatever is on hand to create an altogether new recipe.
Like the other night when ground beef happened to be the centerpiece.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 - 3
- ½ lb ground beef (since there's only the two of us I tend to freeze things in smaller portions)
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 1 egg
- 5 marinated artichoke heart pieces, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Italian dressing
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients except dressing until combined—like a meatloaf.
- Form the mixture into patties and grill until done.
It seemed a little dry when I was cooking it, so I brushed the patties with Italian dressing to keep them moist and prevent crumbling.