Wednesday, July 28, 2010

White Bean and Artichoke Salad

I've been having a difficult time trying to carve out some time this week to write up the second recipe I tried over the weekend, but it's so worth the wait. I thought for sure Scoob would be beaned-out by now what with the 2 attempts at Green Bean Pesto Salad and this White Bean Salad, but he actually requested some of the leftovers with dinner last night.

White Bean and Artichoke Salad


White Bean and Artichoke Salad
Total time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
    3 cups white beans (2–15oz cans, drained and rinsed)
    1–14oz can quartered artichoke hearts (I sliced them once more for eighths.)
    ⅓ cup red bell pepper, diced
    ⅓ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
    ¼ cup onion, diced
    ½ cup celery, diced (1 stalk)
    ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced (15 or so whole olives)
    ⅓ cup packed parsley leaves, finely chopped
    1 Tbsp finely chopped mint
    1 cup packed basil leaves, finely chopped
    ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
    ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Combine beans, artichoke hearts, red and yellow bell peppers, onion, celery, olives, and herbs in a large bowl. Place olive oil, vinegar, and garlic in a small sealable jar and shake to combine, then pour over the content of the bowl and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Refrigerate for several hours, or overnight, to let the flavors meld.

I used a combination of a couple recipes I found online as a jumping off point, but knew it wasn't going to be as good as what I got at the Pasta Shop. So I made a couple substitutions and additions and I really like how this turned out just as it is. I don't think I'll change a thing when I make this again.

Speaking of which, now that I've tasted it, I think I'll take this to tomorrow's barbeque instead of the Green Bean Salad. Though both are yummy. Actually, Scoob is a little resentful that I'll be taking the next batch to work. Maybe I'll have to make a double so we'll have some at home too. Either way, I'll need to stop at the store on my way home from work tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment