Red Potato Tart
Cooking time: 50 – 60 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ of a sweet onion, diced (Walla Wallas are in season here)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- ½ cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of ham, chopped (I used turkey ham)
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 store-bought 9-inch pie crust, or make your own
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, zucchini, and mushrooms, add salt and pepper as desired and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and ham and toss to combine.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll the 9-inch pie crust out to 12 inches. Slide the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and spoon the potato mixture onto the pie crust leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle with the feta cheese then fold the edge of the pie crust over the potato mixture.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown (you can cover the crust with foil if it gets too dark) and the potatoes are tender, about 50 – 60 minutes. Sprinkle with the fresh basil and serve.
I've also tried a meatless version without the ham, with leeks instead of mushrooms, and a sharp cheddar in place of the feta (picture version). It's a filling, but not heavy meal, and we both really like it. Even better, we always have leftovers for lunch!